Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Challenges

Going into my project, I knew that I'd face some challenge in getting to know the kids and getting them excited about fitness. I had recently felt as though I've made some headway when I headed into the club this afternoon. On Monday, I did a yoga/ pilates session with the teens and thought that it was pretty successful. After all, they had requested yoga and approached the sesion with enthusiasm. What more could I want?!

Today I went to the club with high hopes, as the kids had requested doing dance for fitness and they seemed very excited by my desire to comply with their wishes. As an awkward endurance athlete who can do the cha-cha more adeptly than the freak, I knew that the tables would be turned and that the teens would do the teaching today. I arrived with stereo in tow to find that the girls clamoring for dance were "out" and that the remaining teens received my idea with a lukewarm reaction (at best). After a frustrating period of time attempting to motivate the kids, I asked how many were actually interested in participating. When no hands were raised, I picked up my stereo and left after expressing my disappointment to the group. I felt, and continue to feel, a bit dejected. After all, I thought that doing a fitness activity that they are interested in would be more effective than forcing them to do circuit! While I am admittedly saddened by my experience, I refuse to give up. I know that teens can be difficult, but I remain hopeful that I will "break through" to them. Tomorrow they may just have to do a bit of running to make up for today!

No comments: