Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Yay for flexibility!

Through my volunteering at the Boys and Girls Club, I've learned the value of flexibility. As the club is incredibly busy and staff is occasionally overworked, there have been times that I've shown up at the club at our scheduled times and found out that the kids are sick or busy with a previously scheduled activity or that none of the staff members can join us off-site (club policy). In the case of the latter, I've turned to indoor activities which must be held in the limited space of the teen center.

This week and next week, my flexibility is being put to the test while the kids are on Spring Break. This results in a very different set of parameters for my fitness club. During these two weeks, the club is held from 3-4 pm in the Teen Center and with a group of kids almost completely different from my usual characters. On Monday, I held a class with a group of teens and only two were familiar to me, the rest being male football and basketball players. We started off with some yoga, did some circuit training and finished with some more stretches and core exercise. While the group dynamics were different, I was pleasantly surprised by how receptive the boys were. In fact, they were the ones clamoring for more yoga! I promised to do more yoga with them today. I guess that my flexibility is being put to the test in multiple ways!

No comments: