Thursday, May 8, 2008

Racing in South Africa: A Tribute to Jackie D.


Over the course of his long career, the cyclist Jackie Durand tried countless solo breakaways in professional bike races. While almost all of these attempts were unsuccessful, DuDu getting swallowed up by the peloton after long, seemingly hopeless efforts, you had to give the rider credit for his gutsy riding. This past weekend, I tried to channel DuDu's spirit in the Richard's Bay World Cup in South Africa. What would Jackie D. do (or W.W.J.D.D.- my new bracelet) in a triathlon? He would take the swim out hard, go solo on a windy course, get swallowed up by the pack and end up with an unspectacular finish, just like I did. The best part was that I never had more fun in a race, minus the major leg cramp after the first lap of the run. While 14th place wasn't as high as I would have finished had I been more conservative in the swim and bike, I was happy with my race. While the risk I took didn't pay off this time around, the results will be sweet when it does.

I had a great time in South Africa, despite the days sacrificed in travel to and from South Africa. The people in Richard's Bay were warm, outgoing and extremely supportive of the race. I also was able to see countless vervet monkeys on the race course, as well as zebras, giraffes, warthogs, springbok and hyenas during a short, impromptu drive through the game park (Thanks, Andy!). I can't wait to return to see more critters and to see more of the landscape. Maybe I'll even be successful in a solo breakaway next time around!

No comments: