Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Adventure Continues...

In preparation for this weekend's duathlon in Des Moines, I changed my hotel to West Des Moines, did a du-style pre-race tune-up workout yesterday and bought platform duathlon pedals which eliminates shoe changes. I had yet to figure out my outfit (wearing a swimsuit when no water is involved just seems so wrong) when I received the news that the race will most likely be a triathlon once again. Thank goodness. Between my duathlon insecurities (I'm not even sure of the distances involved!) and the Olympic selection mess, my life is greatly simplified by the running of a triathlon. Bill Burke, the race director, and the Hy-Vee staff deserve some nice cold ones post-race after the nightmare they've endured in running this event.

While I'm relieved to know that I will have the opportunity to race this weekend, I admit to having some reservations. After hearing of how deeply lives have been affected in the Midwest by the flooding, it somehow seems inappropriate to be competing in a race in Des Moines. Sport is a luxury, not a necessity. When people have lost their worldly possession and homes to the flood waters, how can I focus on something so inconsequential as triathlon? While I realize that I am doing more than just racing, as I am following a dream, I am painfully aware that my ability to chase that dream is an incredible privilege. Whatever happens this weekend in the race, I'm certain that my surroundings will help ground me and remind me of my great fortune in life.

No comments: