Saturday, September 13, 2008

Busy... and happier that way!

When I moved to the OTC, I soon discovered that I would have spare time on my hands. As practically everything that I need to train is on campus, from food to sports med, the time that I had spent shuttling around town, cooking and cleaning was freed for other pursuits. At first, I admit that I spent some my spare time watching tv somewhat obsessively (oh, the shame!), spending far too much time in the dining hall and reading. Before too long, I found myself struggling a bit, feeling unsatisfied and somewhat depressed.

Thankfully, I was cleared to volunteer at the Tutt branch of the Boys and Girls Club in Colorado Springs in mid-August and have since spent my weekday afternoons with the kids. I frequently find that playing with the kids is the highlight of my day and I anticipate the kinds of games and crafts that we can do together. No matter how tired I am after a day of training, I am instantly energized when walking in the club, drawing energy from the youthful exuberance of the members.

I am so grateful for my opportunity to volunteer through In the Arena. I am proud of the work that I do with the kids and hope to have a positive impact on them. I also am aware of the effect that the work has on me. The pursuit of sport as a profession is a selfish, a characteristic that I find draining. In the Arena and the Boys and Girls Club helps me be a contributing member of the community, something that I couldn't be if I remained sequestered on the OTC campus, and keeps me from useless hours of mindless tv!

No comments: