Friday, July 3, 2009

Back in Colorado Springs

After a whirlwind tour of the Northeast (Cooperstown to DC for the ITU World Championship Series race to Aunt and Uncle's place in NJ to Des Moines for the Hy Vee World Cup), I'm back in Colorado Springs to get ready for tri season part 2. My two weeks back east were both exhausting and reinvigorating at the same time, providing some unexpected "down time" from training and a chance to catch up with family.

As for the racing in DC and HyVee, I ended up with a 9th place finish in DC against a world-caliber field and a DNF at Des Moines (yes, the Des Moines racing curse continues, 3 years counting!). I was pretty happy with my finish in DC, considering the strength of my competition. It was an amazing experience racing past some of the most iconic buildings in the world. We also had the honor of meeting and riding with Mayor Fenty, an accomplished triathlete, as well as meeting some young triathletes through the DC's Achieve program. As for my race in Des Moines, it is suffice to say that it just wasn't my day. Sometimes it happens, but hopefully next year I'll have an "on day" there! HyVee certainly didn't disappoint,as the quality of the event was the highest I've ever experienced with a triathlon. I certainly look forward to returning for years to come.

That's my update for now! More to come, I promise.

No comments: