Friday, September 11, 2009

Report from Goldie

Back when I booked my flight to the Gold Coast for the World Championships Finale, I decided to come a week out from the race in order to adjust to the time change and weather. After I did so, I half dreaded my decision, envisioning a week where I have too much time on my hands and end up watching bad Australian TV, eating out at overpriced restaurants in Surfers Paradise and getting stir crazy while waiting for Sunday’s race. Fortunately (but unfortunately, if you were hoping for regular blog updates), I have found myself surprisingly busy.

In addition to the normal activities that shape my day (training, massage, chiro, meetings, grocery chopping and cooking- we have a kitchenette!), I have been occupied with the ITU Athlete’s Committee. Jarrod Shoemaker and I are the PATCO regional representatives and were thrown into a contentious debate soon after joining the Committee. In a nutshell, a resolution was proposed that could permit a National Federation to exert control over their athletes’ uniform logos. Needless to say, this was a divisive resolution pitting athletes and athlete-supportive NFs against pro-resolution NFs. In response, our committee fought hard, involving the athletes to encourage the members of Congress, which met on Thursday, to table the vote and to form an ad hoc committee to further discuss this matter. Fortunately, we won! Let’s hope that the ad hoc committee will recognize that athletes need to be able to keep control over their uniforms to maximize our income-earning potential through sponsors.

I am looking forward to tomorrow’s race, the last stop on the WCS circuit for the year. In lieu of a World Championships, the ITU decided to have a World Championships Series, so while this is the World Champs for the Age Groupers, U23s and Juniors, this is just the “Finale” for the elites. That being said, with every athlete present, minus an injured Emma Snowsill, this is the most competitive field that has convened all year. I find myself wishing that I were a bit fitter, faster, stronger etc., but I have to remind myself that this is just another race and yet another step in a long, multi-year process. The race will be tough, but FUN! And the best part is that I get to share the experience with some Groffs (Uncle Richard and Mike, Cass, Argyle and Cosmo- aka the Aussie Groffs).

Race update will follow ASAP (or within a week or two, in Sarah time :-) along with some great pics, I hope!

No comments: