Friday, May 7, 2010

Looking forward (and not behind... too much)

In triathlon racing and training, like in life, you have good periods where everything is going well and the pieces just fall into place. Naturally, you also have "bad" periods where it feels as though you are fighting the current to no avail. The past couple of months I've been in a bit of a rough patch, but rather than feel too sorry for myself or bemoan my bad luck, I'm looking forward and ahead and hoping that these challenges will make me a stronger athlete and person. After all, what choice do you have? Either you: a) wallow in self-pity or b) be proactive and "get on with it", as Coach Daz would say.

I'm currently writing from Seoul, South Korea, where I experienced the most disappointing of a series of three disappointing races (Mooloolaba World Cup, Sydney WCS and Seoul WCS). Starting the race, we knew that it was a crapshoot as to whether or not I'd be able to race well. The odds were stacked against me, but there was a chance that I might be able to pull out something special. It was a "big ask" , as they say in Australia, as I had fractured my sacrum 7 weeks ago in a little bike crash (only a couple of weeks after a sinus infection and unintentionally running over an innocent pigeon on the bike path- all bad things come in threes!) and have since had to deal with serious back pain. Considering the fact the bike course was highly technical and accelerations on the bike tend to cause my back to painfully spasm, essentially locking it down, it was a gamble. Unfortunately, I did spasm on the bike and had to pull out- a DNF result is always a bummer, but this one was particularly so.

So where does that leave me? Obviously I am a bit frustrated and sad. When you picture your season, you never take setbacks like this into account. All I can do is look forward, get in a good block of training to catch up a bit after losing fitness and persist. It won't be easy, but nobody ever said that the occupation that I chose was an easy one. Actually, to be more accurate, the good periods are easy and the bad period stink, but it is our reaction to the hard ones that define us.

Off to get some kimchi and bulgogi. Maybe chili, garlic and fermented cabbage is the secret cure for an aching back...


4 comments:

Zoila Gomez said...

Sarah,
I enjoy reading your blog and personal experiences- All the ups and downs are meant to happen-part of the package- Otherwise, you would not love and enjoy what you do.. You obviously Love and Enjoy your profession that's why you are here. You are already doing something many wish they could. You inspire many people in the USA and around the world- Looking forward to read about your future experiences- Zoila

Unknown said...

Hi Sarah,
I also have enjoyed following your blog. Hang in! I am sure that these setbacks in your season will only help you in the future. Keep grinding it out....
Emily

MarkyV said...

Keep your head up Saucey. I'm out for the season but digging my teeth into the things that need to be addressed. A cool head prevails. Head up, mover forward, rawk on.

Gregwh said...

"Life isn't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward!" That is winning.