Sunday, June 20, 2010

Davos-Dorf= Perfekt (minus the Schnee!)

On Monday, I took three flights and three different trains to arrive in the middle of the Swiss Alps. Amazingly, my bike and bag managed to make the entire trip with me, despite some tight connections! My final stop was Davos-Dorf, my training base with the D-Squad for the next few months. Despite overcast skies and incessant rain (and snow this morning!), I’ve been blown away by how lovely the area is. Imagine alpine meadows filled with wildflowers and bell-toting Swiss cows and you might get an idea...


While I would love to spend time lolling about in fields with the aforementioned cows and eating fondue, my reason for being here is simple: I need to get in serious race shape. I quite a bit of work to do, as the first half of my season, both in terms of training and racing, was profoundly impacted by my injury. This season is a building year and the work that we put in this year will pay off at some point. Maybe towards the end of this year, maybe next year... All I know is that I’m surrounded by the right training partners, I’m under the guidance of the right coach and I’m in the right training location to put in the hard work that I need in order to improve. Davos was not the easiest training grounds to get to, but I’m finding out that sometimes the hardest and most time-consuming destinations to reach are the most worthwhile ones.

1 comment:

Gregwh said...

Eating fondue with cows seems a little ironic :) Sounds like a gorgeous area. Get some.