Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Deep-fried Dallas



For a couple of months, I have been eagerly anticipating my last race of the year, the U.S. Open Triathlon in Dallas, for one reason: the Texas State Fair. I have a borderline unhealthy obsession with the State Fair and its crazy assortment of fried foods (plus the added bonus of livestock!). For the most part, I view the fried food fiesta as entertainment (Who the heck would fry flavored butter? And, more puzzling, who would eat it?!). This year, however, I was looking forward to actually trying this year’s winner, fried beer. How can fried beer NOT be good? Unfortunately, fried beer, an insipid ravioli like pocket filled with lukewarm, beer-flavored liquid, is pretty awful. So awful, in fact, that the fried beer ended up in the garbage. Considering I was with my brother (in photo), who happened to be in town for business, and my Dallas-buddy, my dad, this is saying something; Groffs will pretty much eat anything.

So what does fried beer have to do with triathlon? I guess that I see the whole fried-beer experience as a reflection of my season this year. I went into the season with high hopes and expectations, hoping to find a new level of awesomeness. I took a calculated risk and while I was immersed in the right environment and surrounded by great people, things didn’t turn out as I had hoped. For the most part, my results, while not inedible, certainly weren’t the nuggets of deliciousness for which I had hoped. I’ve grown through the experience, however, and I’m now armed with knowledge and experience that I didn’t have in the past.

After the disappointment of the deep-fried beer, Adam and I waited in a 30-minute line in order to try the “Elvis”, a deep-fried peanut butter, jelly and banana sandwich. It required patience, but I was pleasantly surprised by the final outcome. In the past, I would have passed by the line and merely been entertained by the idea of this calorie-bomb treat. After trying and failing with the beer, however, I was more willing to take a risk and invest the time into a potentially positive outcome. The long wait and the nastiness of the fried beer only made the “Elvis” taste even better. At some point, I will be have the breakthrough that I desire as a triathlete and it will be even more rewarding after the frustrations of seasons like this past one.


[This was intended as a race report and ended up being something else entirely. As for the race itself, I ended up 5th- a good result that isn’t reflective of how mentally and physically difficult it was for me. It has been a long, draining season that has taken its toll on me and that was glaringly obvious on Sunday. Phew. Thank goodness the 2010 season is over!]

No comments: