Tuesday, November 16, 2010

African Adventures (Part 1): New York to Nairobi

I’m one lucky chick. Sometimes I lose sight of the incredible opportunities that I have by being an athlete. This morning, however, I spent 30 minutes chatting with NBA legend Bill Walton in the NYAC hot tub after getting in a nice swim workout. Life doesn’t get much better than that.


Last night, Bill served as keynote speaker for the New York Athletic Club’s All Sports Dinner, where I was fortunate enough to rub elbows with some of the best athletes in the country. NYAC has a tremendous tradition of supporting athletes in Olympic sports and Jarrod Shoemaker, Kevin Collington and I are fortunate members of their triathlon team. The club is an incredible place, located next to Central Park, with a rich and impressive history of Olympic athlete support. I hope to represent the club well for years to come.


I’m still scratching my head about how I can be so fortunate. I sat and talked with one of the greatest basketball players of all time in one of the most prestigious clubs in the world. These experiences just don’t seem as though they should happen to a goofball triathlete from New Hampshire. While they last, however, I’m just enjoying the ride. I think that my new buddy Bill, with his big heart and infectious passion for life, would approve.


I’m off to Kenya tonight (currently in the lounge- hence the rushed blog post) for a month of running in the Rift Valley. Like I said, I’m pretty darn lucky. From New Hampshire to New York, New York to Nairobi, this is one crazy journey... I can’t wait to see what comes next!

1 comment:

Gregwh said...

Make it a safe trip to Kenya, please let us know how the heck they do it. Henry Rono tells me it was the hill training, an hour of it in a session or more.

PS awesome that you chatted with Walton and biked with Lance.
A couple of very direct bad asses. But cool for them too!