Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Oh! The places you'll go!

Upon completing high school and college, countless scores of graduates receive Dr. Seuss' Oh! The Places You'll Go!. Appropriate for recent grads, I find the book also highly appropriate for the New Year. After all, what does the New Year represent more than new beginnings? To wit, "You can steer yourself any direction you choose...And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go." This year, where I will go is towards my dream!

As I enter 2008, I do so with great anticipation. For those of us trying to qualify for the Beijing Olympics, these next few months are a critical period for growth, both physical and mental. While this period will be highly challenging (or "character building", as my coach might say), I recognize that process is just as important, if not more so, than the outcome. Whether or not I qualify for the Olympic team, I am confident that someday I will draw upon the lessons that I'll learn. As the book tells us, Hang-ups, which lead to Lurches and Slumps, are inevitable. How we react to these challenges define us, however.

Whether we dream big or small, our dreams are present and alive (although dormant in most, I find!). In the words of Dr. Seuss, "Your mountain is waiting. So...get on your way!". Whatever your dream is, why not go after it in '08? No matter the result, the outcome is great!

Happy New Year!

No comments: