Monday, January 21, 2008

Week 1 of Teen Fit Club!

When I designed my project a few months ago, I had anticipated starting in April, after my Santa Monica training camp. This plan, however, did not take into account the fact that I'd be chomping at the bit, wanting to start my volunteering before that date. Just before starting my Boulder to Santa Monica drive, I did some investigation and found out there was a Boys and Girls Club in Santa Monica. More importantly, they seemed eager to have me come volunteer! Fortuitously, the teens had recently been clamoring for a fitness group- a void that I could certainly fill!

In doing this project, I wanted to take the needs and wants of the teens into consideration. After all, the more input they have results in more ownership of the program. I sat down with the interested teens and we decided upon three sessions a week of roughly an hour apiece. While that may change based on interest, I am really excited that they want to meet so frequently. As an additional incentive, I've promised an awards program based on attendance. I'm trying to get some of my sponsors on board with this idea, providing free stuff when certain benchmarks have been achieved. After all, everyone loves prizes!

We had our first sessions on Wednesday and Thursday last week. The first session was a bit eye-opening, as the kids showed up in trendy sneakers and tight jeans, despite my request for them to wear comfortable clothing. Furthermore, their cellphones provided quite a bit of distraction, as they were text-messaging during the session. Needless to say, cellphones were banned for the following day's session! I was greatly encouraged by their high energy levels and I think that we can channel that energy into our training. While the fitness and discipline levels are pretty variable, I am optimistic that I can get my kids doing some quality workout sessions. My biggest challenge will be to hold their attention! I welcome any suggestions!

No comments: