Thursday, April 2, 2009

Mileage Club


While I haven't been able to go into the Chula Vista Boys and Girls Club and help as much as I might have liked, I have been fortunate enough to pop in a few time. Yesterday I helped out with the Mileage Club, a weekly fitness program that a couple of the staff members started with the kids. The concept is this: the kids run or walk laps around the perimeter of the gym and for each lap that they complete, they get a popsicle stick. At the end of the session, the kids count their sticks and report their total. For every 40 laps (equivalent to 5 miles) that they complete, they get a foot token for their key chain. The cumulative mileage is tracked with the objective of reaching a geographic goal (for example, Grandma's house or Disney Land). If the goal is reached, the kid earns a top-secret prize. Cool program, right? I would love to get this started at the club in my club in Colorado Springs!








3 comments:

Noa said...

Thats a GREAT program :)

Kate Whitcomb said...

Sarah,

A tri is definitely in order! I am signed up for the Wildflower, coming up soon, but don't know if I will be cleared by my PT... What are some of the early-season ones you are doing?

Hope all is well,
Kate

IAN said...

Sarah, this looks like an awesome program.

Great to see talented athletes like yourself giving back. Great race this weekend at Ocanside.

I enjoyed our "swim" after in the Med Tent pool. I wonder if we can get ahold of those photos. Great meeting you.