Saturday, January 17, 2009

Sarah's Complaint


Every year, upon days of starting a training camp, I will call home and have a long, drawn-out whinging session about the fact that I've put on too much weight and gotten too unfit during the off-season. I always get the same response about my need for patience and am reminded of the terrible weather conditions back in Upstate NY. For me, this time in the season is torture and every year I vow that the following year will be different and that I'll start the season lean, fit and ready to train hard- a vow that I invariably break.

Naturally, this year is no exception, as I am in the midst of a 3-week training camp in Maui with coach Joel Filliol's group of Canadians (I know- Maui. Life is hard, eh?) and was struck with the feeling of deja vu about three days into the camp. The other athletes are fit, tough and ready to train hard. I, on the other hand, am a complete cream puff at the moment and find that the only thing that I have in common with Joel's athletes is my pale, pasty complexion. I'm trying my hardest to limit my complaints to Lauren Groves, who is well-accustomed to my early season kvetching, my parents and to my coach, whose response is : "Yeah, of course you are out of shape. You are at a training camp to get your butt in gear". Thanks for the sympathy, Justin.

When Joel invited me along to Maui, I don't think that he realized what he was getting into with early-season Sarah (a very different beast from a fit, mid-season me). In the fear that I will be sent back to the mainland in shame or publicly shunned in front of his group of thoroughbreds, this Clydesdale is trying her hardest to keep her mouth shut and pretend that everything is hunky-dory. Of course, Joel is a smart guy and probably figured out that I am unfit upon 30 seconds of our reunion on Monday. In case I'm still tricking him and he is waiting for me to bust out an incredible session one of these days, I've outed myself in this blog to Joel, an avid blog reader. Please don't send me back, Joel!

By the end of the camp, I'm hoping to turn my soft self into a something a bit more representative of an elite athlete. While this may seem like I'm intending to carve David out of marshmallow, I'll be a lot closer with a little more patience, some more discipline and a steady stream of workouts. And if that doesn't work out, at least I'll head back to Colorado with a nice bronze glow.

Aloha,
Sarah


No comments: