Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Training Camp Survival Tips: How to Endure Three Weeks in a Male- Dominated Training Group

Prior to coming to Maui, my experience in training camps was limited to camps with Siri Lindley's all-girl squad. Here, however, Lauren Groves and I are the only women present at this camp. Needless to say, my introduction into the world of male triathlete training has been an eye-opening experience. While I've managed to survive the camp with body and spirits intact thus far, I've picked up some lessons on how to fit in with other testosterone-laden triathletes:

1. Eat lots of meat (aka “man food”), especially bacon. Vegetables are frowned upon and tofu is openly scorned.
2. Get a tattoo that reads “Don’t Worry- it is JANUARY”. Strangely enough, men get competitive with one another in workouts, even when said workouts take place in January. Since I’m not in a position to race anyone right now, let alone a dude, this phrase is very helpful to have on mental repeat.
3. Embrace your nickname. If I ever had any qualms about the nickname “Sausage”, I've learned to overcome them over the course of the camp. Even the coach, Notorious Joel Filliol (cue Biggie), hasn't slipped by on this one and is forced to listened to his new theme song on repeat.
4. On the bike, there are no photo-ops. Vistas normally are accompanied by hills. Use the opportunity to attack, not marvel at the view.
5. Show no weakness. If you complain, you will be subject to ridicule. While the boys have progressed beyond wedgies and swirlies (if only marginally), teasing is an acceptable form of abuse.
6. Don’t break the unspoken rules of conduct. For example, avoid sitting on and mistakenly tapping a training partner’s feet for the course of a 1.2 mile open water swim race. You may find yourself in an overly extended, heated debate with a strong-willed Olympic medalist.
7. Check the toilet seat. To avoid falling into the seat-less bowl and cracking your tailbone in the middle of the night, remember that some males (Dr. Jones!) frequently forget this small act of decency.
8. Non-training waking hours will be occupied with eating and the internets. I have no idea what they do online for hours, but I guess there are some cool forums and blogs out there that require constant vigilance. Maybe I’d understand if I had a hip Apple laptop like the rest of them, instead of my Toshiba tank.
9. Most importantly, bring your sense of humor. If you can’t laugh at yourself, you will be the target of increased jabs. Pre-emptive self-deprecation works quite well as a strategy.

In truth, I've really enjoyed training with this group in Maui and am a bit saddened by the prospect of returning to Colorado. While training with a group of guys has been very different from my previous training situations (alone or with all girls), I love the energy and intensity of the squad. That being said, I can’t wait to again have a bathroom that I don’t have to share with a herd of men!

No comments: