Sunday, March 1, 2009

Why I do what I do

Amory, from In the Arena, asked us to write a blog entry about achieving excellence or how to maximize one's potential. Ultimately, I think that it boils down to tapping into and exploiting one's motivating force. So why do I do this? Here's my slightly delirious with fatigue mind's free-verse answer:

I don't do triathlon for money or attention.
There is no fame that comes from triathlon (nor would I want it).
I don't do it because I think that it is what I am meant to do.
I'm sure that others are born for the sport, but that's not me.
I don't race to post a certain time or to beat a certain person.
Honestly, I don't even know if I race to win.
I put myself through this because I love the sport, but there is more to it.
If I just loved triathlon, I could do this as a hobby.
But, instead, I do triathlon as a fully-encompassing obsession.
So why?
I do this for me.
I train and race to test myself.
I pursue the sport to feel like I do right now, at the end of a hard training block,
Physically exhausted,
But also calm with the knowledge that, despite my doubts and fears,
I saw what I am made of,
And it made me smile.

No comments: